THE DOON DRAGOONS: [So
named because it was originally composed largely of Scots from
the valley of the River Doon.]
5 (BRIG O' DOON) DRAGOON PLT "Pontoon (Dragoons)" (or "Foot Bridge" if attached to one of the infantry regiments) (R) Now a bridging unit attached directly to GHQ, it is scheduled to be re-equipped with 2 British M3 Amphibious Rigs in FY 2001-02. [When the plt was converted to a pontoon bridging unit, it was renamed "The Brig O' Doon Pontoon Dragoon Platoon"in honor of the bridge made famous by Robert Burns in his poem "Tam o' Shanter". Many of the current members of the plt are their descendants of the original members.]
6 DRAGOON PLT "Dune (Dragoons)" (sometimes "Arakis"or "Rat Patrol") (R) Now a motorised reconnaissance ("recce") unit equippped with Jeeps and other light vehicles and attached directly to GHQ. The plt is often paired with the Rifle Plt STOF for training and operations. (The Grand-Ducal government will neither confirm, nor deny, that these units assisted Coalition forces during the Gulf War.)
In the 1860's, the unit was equipped with hot air balloons, which stayed in service until they were replaced by a German dirigible acquired in early 1919. During this period, the unit was known as the "Doon Balloon Dragoon Platoon". Having acquired a "modern" airship to replace the balloons, the Grand Duke decided that it needed to part of a "modern" force--an "Air Force". So the plt was disbanded and its equipment and most of its personnel transferred to the new organization. In 1945, the plt was "raised from the dead" to serve as the new home for surviving members of a group of "Wotanberger Volunteers" who had served with the British Eighth Army in North Africa as a recce and special operations unit similar to the Long Range Desert Group. (By special order of the Grand Duke, former French Army Capt Louis Renault, French Army Lt Rick Blaine, former American Army Sgt Sam Troy, and former German Army Hauptman Hans Dietrich were allowed to become members of this plt instead of the Foreign Coy of Foot STOF in 1945.) Unit Insignia.
THE MAROON DRAGOONS: [So-named
because of the colour of the unit's original uniforms. The members
of both plt still wear maroon berets.]
7 (AERO-)DRAGOON PLT "Lagoon (Dragoons)" (R) Now an airmobile anti-tank unit equipped with Dragon missiles and attached to GDAC as part of Wotanberg's "Rapid Deployment Force".
From the 1938 until 1950, when the Seiber Islands was granted independence, this plt was attached to the colonial administration there. During this period it became known as the "Lagoon Dragoon Platoon". In 1940, the plt was especially trained and equipped to be transported into combat by various amphibious aircraft owned and/or operated by the Wotanberger Overseas Airways Company (WOAC).